I have been blogging for a little over a year now, and slowly I am learning how to turn it into a viable business opportunity. I do not have any professional experience in marketing or social media, but in my corporate job I work with entrepreneurs. I work with a unique group of professors and students who take tech start-ups and turn them into million dollar businesses.
Aside from Pinterest articles, podcast, and following some awesome local social media experts, all of my knowledge has come from my experience in the corporate world. When I started my blog, I loved the idea of building a brand for myself and turning it into a profitable business, but I had no idea how (full-disclosure, I am not currently making money from my blog, but I am using it to leverage my other ventures).
After multiple conversations with others who are new to the world of blogging and social media, I wanted to share my insights with anyone interested. Check out my 5 tips for building a business below.
1) Create Legitimacy- To be taken seriously as a business and a brand, you need to look legitimate. This is where the statement fake it ‘till you make it comes into play. Spend time building yourself a website, buying a domain name, and nailing down all your social media handles. Create a connection between the look and feel of each page so that anyone looking knows you take your brand seriously.
2) Be Distinct- In 2019 everybody wants that magical recurring revenue job where you can work from anywhere. With so much competition, you have to find a niche in the market and make sure to brand yourself and your business towards that niche. For example, what makes your blog different from the 1000 other people covering a similar topic?
3) Have Multiple Streams of Income- I have read it a few different places, but there is a saying that true entrepreneurs have an average of 7 different income streams. To use a personal example, the money I make through network marketing is currently covering the costs of running my blog (feel free to check out my CBD Business Here).
4) Don’t be Afraid of the NO- Anytime you start a business, you should expect to hear the word no alot. Blogging is no different, don’t be afraid of it. Reach out to brands you want to work with, or people you want to learn from, just don’t be offended if they don’t jump at the chance to work with you right away.
5) Be the Brand- In the era of social media, companies and people don't want to buy into stock images and cheesy quotes, they want to buy into you, as a real and relatable person. Step out of your comfort zone and show your quirky side. Let brands, followers, and whoever else happens to be watching see why you are awesome. We spend so much time worrying about poses and filters, we forget that authenticity is the real winner when it comes to sales pitches.
If there is anything to take away from the five points above, it is to think like an entrepreneur when you are jumping into the world of blogging as a business. True entrepreneurs are not afraid of the hustle, they take chances, they fall down, and then pivot and re-group. Not everything you do with your blog is going to be a success, and that’s ok, as long as you learn along the way, and keep trying new things to connect with your audience.
I would love to hear from other bloggers. What was the best advice you received when you started out? What advice would you pass along to new bloggers?